Hosting A Fundraiser
Event Planning Guide
Thank you for your interest in hosting a Fundraising event to benefit The Seeing Stars Foundation (SSF). Whether you are a corporate entity, community organization, business, or an individual, you are able to make a difference in the lives of many young athletes who are susceptible to traumatic brain injuries. With your help, SSF is able to provide valuable educational programs and workshops for athletes, parents, coaches, trainers, and directors. Your contribution also helps us to provide assistance for Baseline Testing, Athletic Trainers Assistance, Sports Equipment Replacement. Those are just a few of the very important programs undertaken by our organization, made possible by your generosity. Below are some of our guidelines, Q&A's for hosting a Fundaiser for the Seeing Stars Foundation:
For consideration of your event, you must first fill out an FUNDRAISING APPLICATION to request approval from The Seeing Stars Foundation to raise funds on our behalf.
TOOL & TIPS:
- Event Planning Process - Where do I start?
- SSF Guidelines
- What support does SSF provide?
- Ensuring a Successful SSF Fundraising Event
- Contact Us
Event Planning Process - Where do I start?
All events must go through an approval process prior initiating work on a fundraiser to benefit The Seeing Stars Foundation. Only approved events in writing can be advertised as supporting SSF. The name of our organization, its logo, or any other form of representation cannot be used until the approval process is completed and confirmed. We do not endorse any direct marketing, door-to-door solicitations or sales as fundraisers benefiting the Foundation.
- Contact us via this website to request an Event Hosting Proposal form for your fundraiser.
- Once you’ve completed the form, you can either email or fax it back to our office to be reviewed for consideration. Please be as detailed as possible when filling out the form to speed-up your approval process.
Seeing Stars Foundation Guidelines
- The use of Seeing Stars Foundation’s name and/or logo for publicity and fundraising purposes by any entity, group, and/or individuals is allowed by written permission only through the executive board.
- SSF must only be named as the beneficiary of the event, not as the host. (i.e. “The 5K Endurance Race” benefiting The Seeing Stars Foundation” instead of “Seeing Stars Foundation’s 5K Endurance Race”.
- It shall be the goal of all events intended as “fundraisers” to net at least 50% of the gross income.
- All form of event-related promotional materials and correspondences including, but not limited to flyers, posters, press releases, on-air advertisements, point of purchase used by a sponsoring organization or individual must be approved by the SSF’s executive Officer prior to use.
- If you plan to solicit sponsorship support for your event, please discuss it with the contact assigned to your fundraiser by SSF.
- SSF will incur No costs associated with special events that are sponsored by a community group or individual.
- Event hosts may not keep any portion of the proceeds for profit or compensation for putting on the event without being very concise about their keep, and receiving the approval to do so in writing during the approval process of their application form.
- All Proceeds from any fundraiser hosted on behalf of SSF must be presented to our Foundation within 30 days after the event, unless otherwise agreed to prior to the event. All monetary transactions for the special event will be handled by the sponsoring group.
- All staffing and volunteers for the special event will be provided by and will be the responsibility of the sponsoring group unless otherwise agreed to prior to the event.
- All aspects of approved events must be reflective of SSF’s reputation as a family and youth-centered institution.
- All communication with SSF regarding your event must be done through your assigned contact in our office.
What support does SSF provide?
Here’s what we are able to do to support you as you plan your fundraiser:
- Provide event planning guidance and expertise
- Promote the event on our websites and Social Media Networks
- Provide SSF publicity materials such as stickers, flyers, posters, banners and brochures
- Issue IRS-compliant receipts to donors as appropriate.
- Provide formal acknowledgement of a contribution to donors who make their check payable to the Seeing Stars Foundation
- Provide a copy of the SSF logo
- Write a letter showing our support of your event
Unless otherwise agreed to prior to the event’s approval, SSF is not able to secure sponsorship or funding support, provide volunteers, obtain press coverage, provide reimbursements for expenses, secure celebrities to attend your event, distribute promotional material at our other events, offer a mailing list of donors, or guarantee attendance of SSF personnel at your event.
Ensuring a successful SSF fundraising event
- Choose something that interests you, then create an event around it. Almost any interest or hobby can be turned into a fundraiser! The more you enjoy what you are working on, the better the event will be all around.
- Contact SSF to get the approval process started. Email us and we’ll provide you with your Event Hosting Proposal form. Once the event has been approved, continue planning.
- Assemble a planning committee. Whether this is friends, family or co-workers – or all three!- you’ll want to get together a group of people you know you can depend on to get the job done. The more support you have, the more successful you will be.
- Plan your budget and establish an achievable fundraising goal. This is especially important in an event’s first year. Whether you are planning to raise $500 or $20,000, you want to make sure that you have the plans in place to realistically reach your goal.
- Schedule your event. Choose a date, location, and time to hold your fundraiser. Be sure to schedule around any major holidays or school vacations, and give yourself as much time as you’ll need to make the event a success.
- Promote your event. Put a plan together for getting the word out about your fundraiser. Even if you don’t have a large budget for this, there are many ways to publicize what you’re doing. Of course newspaper, tv and radio advertising come to mind, but don’t forget about church or synagogue bulletins, posting flyers in the community, listing the event on online bulletin boards and event calendars, email marketing, and word-of-mouth advertising.
- Hold the event and have fun with it! Once all funds are collected, contact Seeing Stars Foundation to coordinate next steps, particularly if you would like to do an official check presentation.
- Thank your supporters. From your committee members to your sponsors to your event attendees, make sure everyone knows how much you appreciate their support! Be sure to spread the word about how much you raised.